14 Things you need to know about starting a recycling company
1. What advice can you offer to a waste management business owner hopeful who only knows about recycling from the internet and everyday life?
It's not an easy business. You need to be good with money management, tracing money and managing operations
2. What documentation/ licenses does one need to run a waste storage facility/ plant?
Legislation- you need to apply for a licensed to trade as a recycler with your local municipality. You must enquire there and they will tell you how they want you to trade because different municipalities have different bylaws. Otherwise you can get a licensed with the department of environmental affairs as a A temporary storage license
3. Please take me through the recycling processes, from the collection, the balling until the material reaches the receiver/ buyer?
You collect material, you bale it, you sell it
4. Is it advisable to recycle only one type of material or to recycle everything recyclable?
No. This is not advisable. You will take forever to fill a truck. Mix your materials
5. Is it advisable to serve as a “drop off” centre for other recyclers?
You can do this. You need to have a lot of cash to pay them
6. Is it advisable to serve as an onsite waste manager for businesses?
No. You won't get clients
7. What are the chances of a waste management business surviving in a town that has existing recycling business?
You just need to make sure you get waste. That's all that matters. You can both survive but just have sources of waste
8. Is it cost effective to run a plant? Or just to be a collector?
You need to bale of you want to make a reasonable income
9. How can I charge for my services, are recyclables and non-recyclable waste priced the same?
What services do you offer? Charging is always based on your cost. Think of basic business principles. You calculate cost per unit then add your profit.
10. Is there profit in selling bales?
Yes. Same answer as the costing
11. Can I only sell locally or even internationally?
You need an import export license to sell internationally. You can go to Seda and they will assist you. You need big quantities though.
12. Does the Municipality allow private companies to use the landfill? If yes, are the companies charged to use the landfill?
Yes and yes. Go to your municipality for details
13. What is the most effective way of marketing?
Depends where you can find your clients. If they are online, use Facebook. If not, you approach them directly. Being online is a great thing. You will always get people contacting you directly from your online profile
14. Should I ever need to expand and work the landfill what requirements would be needed?
You need to get a tender to work a landfill as those contracts are given by tender.
Leave a Comment
SiyaBuddy Recycling and Waste Management is a recycling and waste management company situated at Steenbok Village, Nkomazi Local Municipality, Mpumalanga.
It works in partnership with the Municipality and operates at the Steenbok Landfill Site where almost all the Nkomazi Local Municipality Waste and Recyclables goes.
Opening Days :
Monday – Friday : 07:30 to 16:30
Saturdays : 7:30 to 12:00
Sundays: Not Operating
All Official Holidays: Not Operating
Enter your email address below to subscribe to our Newsletter